Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) is a weight loss procedure that works by reducing the size of a patient’s stomach using a non-surgical tool known as an endoscopic suturing device. ESG is a wonderful option for those individuals who need to lose weight, but the traditional channels of diet and exercise have been unsuccessful in the past. We encourage you to discover the many advantages of the endoscopic sleeve and see if you may be a good candidate for the procedure.
About Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty works by restricting the size of your stomach so it can only accommodate a limited amount of food. By eating less, you’ll consume fewer calories on a regular basis, which leads to significant weight loss.
The main goal of this procedure is to provide a weight loss tool for those who are obese to help them lose weight, which will improve their health and lower their risk of certain medical conditions. These include high blood pressure, gastroesophageal reflux disease, sleep apnea, heart attacks, strokes, type 2 diabetes, and more.
Advantages Of Endoscopic Sleeves
- 1. Provides Similar Results To Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- The procedure produces comparable results to gastric sleeve surgery, but without the surgery. The stomach size is reduced, leaving only 25% to 30% of its original capacity. It is reshaped into a smaller tube-like pouch and then held in place with sutures that are administered from within.
- 2. No Incisions
- The ESG procedure is performed through an endoscope that is lowered down the patient’s throat, and the sutures are placed from the inside.
- 3. Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Is Non-Surgical
- Because performing an endosleeve procedure does not require surgery, it is done as an outpatient procedure, and there is no hospital stay required.
- 4. The Procedure Time Is Shorter Than Traditional Bariatric Sleeve Surgery
- The endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty procedure typically only takes 1 1/2 hours to complete.
- 5. The Patient’s Stomach Remains Intact
- The patient’s stomach capacity is reduced by about 70–75% through strategically placed sutures. The stomach is not cut, and no portion of the stomach is removed. The sutures are durable enough to make the procedure permanent, but if desired, the ESG procedure has the potential to be reversed or revised.
- 6. Short Recovery Time
- One of the best advantages of ESG is that it offers a minimal recovery time of only about one week. When compared to traditional bariatric surgery, ESG patients can return to their normal routines much sooner.
- 7. There Are No Visible Scars Left Behind
- There are no incisions created during an endoscopic sleeve procedure, so there is no associated scarring.
- 8. There Are No Activity Restrictions After The ESG Procedure
- Overall, after having an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, patients are not given activity restrictions. Doctors caution their patients against heavy lifting for a couple of weeks, but patients are free to return to their normal routine.
- 9. Excellent Weight Loss Potential
- The endoscopic sleeve procedure offers patients significant weight loss potential, and most patients achieve and maintain an average weight loss of 60–65% of their excess body weight even after 2 years.
- 10. Lower Risk Factors
- The risk of complications or long-term side effects after undergoing the ESG procedure is only 2.9% vs. 11.8% for traditional gastric sleeve surgery.
Nilda Rosario's Follow-Up With Dr. Batash - A Year After Her Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
A year ago, Nilda Rosario has had an endoscopic gastric sleeve for weight loss. Today, she shares how her life changed since that and what benefits Suture Sculpt gave her.
Who Are Good Candidates For Endoscopic Sleeves
Individuals who do not qualify for bariatric weight loss surgery for various reasons may qualify for endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. The general qualifications for ESG include the following:
- Patients with a BMI (body mass index) of 30 or higher who have not been able to control or maintain a healthy weight in the past using traditional methods;
- Individuals who are willing to commit to following a healthy lifestyle, including diet and exercise that promote and maintain weight loss;
- Patients who are in good health;
- Individuals who are willing to participate in behavioral therapy and attend all necessary follow-up medical exams.
Those with serious medical issues, including a hiatal hernia larger than 3 centimeters, gastrointestinal bleeding, or who have had stomach surgery in the past, may not be suitable candidates for this procedure.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty offers many advantages over traditional weight loss surgery and may be an excellent option to help you lose weight and become healthier.
To learn more about the benefits of gastroplasty, we encourage you to make an appointment with Batash Endoscopic Weight Loss Center. Set up a consultation today, and our caring and dedicated team of professionals will be pleased to explain this option to you in greater detail and answer any questions you may have.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is available in the NYC area at our convenient location in Rego Park. Contact us today to set up your consultation!