In the battle against obesity, researchers and medical professionals continue to explore innovative approaches to help individuals achieve sustainable weight loss. Among the remarkable breakthroughs in recent years are the non-surgical Suture Sculpt ESG procedure and GLP-1 weight loss drugs that have been approved by the FDA for use in treating individuals who suffer from obesity.
Each of these options provides significant benefits that aid patients in navigating their weight loss journey with greater ease while maximizing their efforts.
In this article, we will talk about how these weight loss tools work, their benefits, and how combining GLP-1 drugs for weight loss with Suture Sculpt ESG can deliver optimal results.
What Is GlP-1?
If you have been anywhere near social media or listened to the news in the past year, chances are you have heard about GLP-1 weight loss drugs. If you are like most people, you may not exactly understand what GLP-1 is.
GLP-1 is a hormone released by your intestines in response to food consumption. It plays a crucial role in regulating blood sugar levels and controlling your appetite. Its primary functions are to stimulate the release of insulin, which lowers blood sugar, and suppress the release of glucagon, a hormone that raises blood sugar. Additionally, GLP-1 slows down the emptying of the stomach, promoting a lingering feeling of fullness, which can keep you from getting hungry and eating as often.
GLP-1 Medications For Weight Loss
These medications, also known as GLP-1 receptor agonists, mimic the effects of our bodies’ naturally occurring GLP-1 and have proven to be effective in addressing obesity.
Currently, there are two FDA-approved GLP-1 drugs for weight loss and a third with imminent approval.
- Liraglutide (brand name Saxenda)
- Originally approved for the treatment of type 2 diabetes under the brand name Victoza, Liraglutide received FDA approval for chronic weight management in 2014. It is administered as a subcutaneous injection and is indicated for adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater or those with a BMI of 27 or greater with at least one weight-related comorbidity (e.g., hypertension, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia).
- Semaglutide (brand name Wegovy)
- Semaglutide was initially approved for the treatment of type 2 diabetes under the brand name Ozempic. In June 2021, the FDA approved a higher-dose formulation of Semaglutide for chronic weight management. Similar to liraglutide, it is administered as a subcutaneous injection. Semaglutide is indicated for adults with a BMI of 30 or greater or those with a BMI of 27 or greater with at least one weight-related comorbidity.
- Tirzepatide (brand name Mounjaro™, pending approval)
- Tirzepatide is a recent addition to the market and was approved in May 2022 for use in treating adults with type 2 diabetes. It is currently in the end stages of review by the FDA for approval in the treatment of obesity, although it is already being used “off-label” for this purpose. Like the other GLP-1 weight loss medications, it is administered via subcutaneous injection from a pre-filled injector pen-like syringe.
What Benefits Can GLP-1 Medications Provide To Weight Loss Patients
GLP-1 weight loss injections can offer several benefits for individuals looking to lose or maintain their weight. Some of the advantages associated with GLP-1 injections include:
- Weight loss
- GLP-1 weight loss drugs have demonstrated impressive efficacy in promoting weight loss. Clinical trials have shown that individuals treated with GLP-1 receptor agonists experience significant reductions in body weight, particularly in terms of fat mass. These medications work to help regulate appetite, promote feelings of fullness, increase satiety, and reduce hunger cravings.
- Reduced calorie intake
- GLP-1 injections can help control cravings and reduce the overall intake of calories. Consuming fewer calories than you burn is necessary for weight loss.
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- GLP-1 drugs for weight loss enhance insulin sensitivity, meaning that the body becomes more efficient at utilizing glucose, so carbohydrates are burned rather than stored as fat.
- Slowed gastric emptying
- GLP-1 medications delay the emptying of the stomach, which produces increased feelings of fullness and helps patients reduce their food intake.
- Decreased fat storage
- GLP-1 weight loss drugs can effectively decrease the presence of visceral fat in individuals with abdominal obesity as well as fat stored in various other areas of the body.
- Cardiovascular benefits
- GLP-1 injections have shown potential cardiovascular benefits by reducing blood pressure, improving lipid profiles (lowering triglycerides and increasing HDL cholesterol), and reducing markers of inflammation.
- Helps with long-term weight maintenance
- One common challenge with weight loss interventions is maintaining the weight loss achieved over the long term. Clinical trials have indicated that individuals who continue using these medications can sustain their weight loss and potentially achieve further reductions in body weight. This sustained weight loss not only enhances overall health but also improves psychological well-being and quality of life.
- Improvement or Elimination Of Obesity-Related Conditions
- Obesity is associated with a range of health conditions, including non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). GLP-1 weight loss drugs have demonstrated potential for managing these conditions. Studies have shown reductions in liver fat content and improvements in liver enzymes in individuals treated with GLP-1 receptor agonists. Many patients have found relief from high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes after weight loss.
What Would Happen If I Use A GLP-1 Medication Together With A Suture Sculpt ESG Procedure?
Combining a GLP-1 drug with Suture Sculpt (ESG) can offer several potential benefits in the management of obesity.
Here are some advantages to combining these weight loss tools:
- Enhanced Weight Loss
- Suture Sculpt ESG is a non-surgical endoscopic procedure that reduces the size of the stomach by suturing it from the inside in targeted areas to make it smaller while creating a sleeve-like shape. By combining Suture Sculpt ESG with a GLP-1 weight loss drug, which promotes satiety and reduces appetite, there is a synergistic effect on weight loss. The reduced stomach size from ESG restricts food intake, while the GLP-1 drug helps control hunger and portion sizes, leading to enhanced weight loss outcomes.
A patient that uses Suture Sculpt alone typically loses about 60% of their excess weight in about six months, but when combined with a GLP-1 weight loss medication, patients can lose approximately 86% of their excess weight. Excess weight is the number of pounds difference between what you currently weigh and what your goal weight is. (a weight that is within healthy BMI levels)
- Improved Satiety and Reduced Food Cravings
- GLP-1 drugs stimulate the release of hormones that promote satiety, making individuals feel fuller and more satisfied with smaller meals. This effect can complement the stomach-restricting mechanism of Suture Sculpt ESG, leading to a reduced desire to overeat and fewer food cravings. By reducing hunger and improving satiety, the combination approach can support better adherence to a calorie-restricted diet, promoting weight loss.
- Enhanced Glycemic Control
- GLP-1 drugs have proven efficacy in improving glycemic control, and their combination with ESG can further amplify these effects. ESG has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism in individuals with obesity and type 2 diabetes. When combined with GLP-1 drugs, which regulate blood sugar levels and enhance insulin secretion, there is a potential for improved glucose control, reduced insulin resistance, and long-term weight management.
- Potentially Reduced Medication Dependence
- Obesity-related health conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, often require multiple medications for effective management. By combining Suture Sculpt ESG with GLP-1 drugs, individuals may experience significant weight loss, leading to improvements in metabolic health. As a result, there is a possibility of reducing the need for certain medications or achieving better control with lower doses, potentially simplifying the medication regimen and reducing associated side effects.
- Sustained Weight Loss Maintenance
- Weight gain after initial weight loss is a common challenge in obesity management. The combination of Suture Sculpt ESG and GLP-1 drugs has the potential to facilitate long-term weight loss maintenance. GLP-1 drugs can help individuals adhere to dietary and lifestyle changes, while Suture Sculpt ESG provides physical restrictions to prevent overeating. This dual approach can support sustained weight loss, promoting improved health outcomes and quality of life in the long term.
Dr. Steven Batash Talks About The Benefits Of GLP-1 Drugs And Suture Sculpt
Why To Combine GLP-1 With Suture Sculpt?
Dr. Batash discusses why it’s beneficial to combine GPL-1 medications with the Suture Sculpt endoscopic sleeve procedure. Call us at (718) 751-0375 to schedule a consultation or schedule online at https://batashmedical.com/appointment/. Follow us: https://www.instagram.com/stevenbatashmd https://www.tiktok.com/@drstevenbatash https://www.facebook.com/BatashMedical https://www.realself.com/dr/steven-ba... Batash Endoscopic Weight Loss Center 97-12 63rd Dr., Suite 1D Rego Park, NY 11374 (718) 751-0375 firstname.lastname@example.org #weightloss #batashweightloss #endobariatrics #nonsurgicalweightloss
How Can I Learn More About Suture Sculpt ESG And GLP-1 Weight Loss Medications?
Batash Endoscopic Weight Loss Center in NYC offers comprehensive weight loss plans that are customized to fit your individual needs. We understand that losing weight is a struggle and that without some type of medical intervention, many individuals would be unable to reach a healthy BMI.
Combining a non-surgical weight loss tool with GLP-1 weight loss medication can give you the help you need to get your weight and health back on track. We are committed to supporting you during your weight loss journey and providing you with the knowledge and strategies you need to help you reach your weight loss goals.
GLP-1 injections are typically prescribed as part of a comprehensive weight management plan that includes a balanced diet, regular physical activity, and behavior modification.
Contact Batash Endoscopic Weight Loss Center today to find out about combining Suture Sculpt ESG and GLP-1 medications for weight loss in New York. Set up an appointment today and let us tailor a plan that helps you attain a healthy BMI.