Has your PCP advised you that you need to lose a lot of weight for your health? Does the thought of an invasive bariatric procedure fill you with dread? If so, you will be very interested to learn about a safe weight loss solution offered at Batash Medical in Rego Park, NY. Today, we’re taking a closer look at endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, including whether it has earned the FDA’s seal of approval.
Is Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty FDA-Approved?
Yes, endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is approved by the FDA. In other words, independent clinical trials have been conducted and provided results that indicate this weight loss technique is both effective and safe. In fact, for some people, this weight loss method is safer than dieting to lose weight.
This is because people who try to diet for weight loss often develop an eating disorder that is extremely detrimental to their physical and mental health. Also, many people who successfully diet for weight loss end up gaining the lost weight back or losing so much weight that they are not healthy at the end of their weight loss journey.
A Safe, Reliable Needle-Free Intervention
If you’re like most people, you’ve tried to lose weight many ways, including diet, exercise, and weight loss supplements, like pills and overpriced teas. These supplements are usually high in caffeine, increasing your metabolism marginally and reducing hunger a little. If you have found that you can’t get down to a healthy weight alone, you’re in good company.
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty can help you lose excess weight quickly and keep it off for life. This treatment is an ideal weight loss solution for many reasons. For example, it is safe, effective, and much more convenient than bariatric surgery. It is also far more affordable than bariatric surgery. Also, there is little downtime required following the treatment.
How Does This Treatment Work?
This extremely straightforward, simple treatment requires little preparation and takes a three-pronged approach to facilitate weight loss. Specifically, it:
- Shrinks your stomach
- Makes you feel fuller sooner
- Keeps you fuller for longer
How Is This Treatment Performed?
This treatment is performed with an endoscopic suturing tool that is used to shrink your stomach. Both the storage capacity and shape of your stomach will be changed thanks to strategically placed stitches. To place the stitches, the endoscopic suturing tool will be inserted into your throat. It will go all the way through your digestive system until it reaches the stomach. Once the sutures are in place, the device will be removed.
After your treatment is complete, you will find it far easier to maintain a healthier lifestyle and change your diet for the better. The healthier your lifestyle is after your treatment, the better your long-term success will be. You will probably maintain your results for the rest of your life because you will never feel as hungry as you used to.
How Much Weight Loss Can I Expect?
If you can eat nutritiously most of the time and only eat calorie-dense foods in moderation, you can maintain a weight loss of 20% of your starting weight. However, this non-surgical treatment does not remove one-fifth of your body fat. Rather, it helps you control your hunger so you can lose 20% of your weight in a year or two.
Who Is a Good Candidate for This Treatment?
Since this treatment is non-invasive, far more people qualify for this treatment than bariatric surgery. However, it is not right for everyone. We will determine whether you qualify for this treatment after we discuss your medical history, current health, and goals during your initial consultation. As a good rule of thumb, you will qualify for this treatment if you are:
- Free from sleep apnea
- At least 100 pounds overweight
- Fairly healthy
- Free from fatty liver disease
- Free from heart problems
- Free from type-2 diabetes
- Committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle
Also, it is important that you can and will follow any preparation steps we give you. As noted above, there isn’t too much you need to do in preparation for this non-surgical treatment. However, you may need to go on a liquid diet prior to your treatment. Also, we may ask you to stop taking certain pharmaceuticals for several days to ensure your treatment goes as smoothly as possible. It is also important to be hydrated when you come in.
Is This Treatment Right for Me?
This treatment is probably right for you if you have a BMI of 35 to 40. It is also likely that this treatment is right for you if you have tried and failed to use more conservative methods to control your obesity, like a healthy diet and regular exercise. Here’s a closer look at signs that this treatment is right for you.
- You Don’t Want to Undergo Bariatric Surgery
- If you feel overwhelmed by the thought of a major invasive procedure, gastroplasty is a much better solution for you. Bariatric surgery is an effective way to lose weight, but there are many risks associated with it, and it requires a multi-week recovery period. On the other hand, you will only need to take a couple of days following your gastroplasty treatment to recover.
- Even better, you can get back to vigorous exercise, like very heavy weight lifting, far sooner than you could following bariatric surgery. Also, this treatment is more comfortable than a bariatric procedure.
- You Don’t Qualify for a Bariatric Procedure
- Another sign that this treatment is right for you is failing to qualify for an invasive bariatric procedure. Gastroplasty provides comparable results and is much easier to qualify for.
- For instance, you may not qualify for bariatric surgery if you haven’t tried more conventional treatments, you’re not committed to changing your lifestyle, or you suffer from a treatable condition that is known to cause obesity.
What Will My Recovery Be Like?
One of the most exciting features of this weight loss treatment is there is almost no recovery time required. In fact, you can expect to feel like your old self after just 48 hours. However, it is advisable to refrain from vigorous exercise for a few weeks following your treatment.
What Should I Eat During My Recovery Period?
- What to Eat Shortly After Your Treatment
- Four hours after your treatment, you can start consuming low-sugar clear liquids. At first, you should only suck on ice chips and sip on water. However, you can slowly work your way up to a diluted diet sports drink or coconut water, unsweetened iced tea, and bone broth. Sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free Jello is also acceptable in the early stages of your recovery period.
- Just be careful if you choose to consume broth, ice chips, popsicles, or plain iced tea. Some people find that they prefer to only consume things that are tepid. Therefore, you may want to drink cool or warm broth rather than heating up the broth.
- What to Eat One to Seven Days After Your Treatment
- One to seven days after your treatment, you can graduate to larger volumes of liquids. If you are naturally sensitive to hot or cold beverages, you may want to wait at least 24 hours after your treatment to drink iced tea or hot broth.
- What to Eat Two to Four Weeks After Your Treatment
- Two to four weeks after your gastroplasty, you can eat soft foods that are low in sugar and fat. However, this doesn’t mean that you need to buy baby food or puree your favorite low-fat foods at home. Rather, you just need to prepare foods that can be mashed with a fork easily, like lentils and baked white fish. Regardless of the soft foods you choose, make sure you are getting 12 to 20 grams of protein per meal.
How Long Does This Treatment Take?
The length of your treatment will depend on several factors, including how large your stomach is. Typically, this treatment only takes between 60 and 90 minutes to complete. However, it can take closer to two hours if your case is complex.
Discover Today Whether This Weight Loss Method Is Right for You
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is an FDA-approved weight-loss method. It helps you lose weight by helping you feel fuller sooner, stay fuller for longer, and shrinking your stomach. To find out whether you qualify for this non-invasive treatment, schedule your initial consultation at Batash Medical in Rego Park, NY. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your weight loss goals.