If you are overweight, shedding unnecessary pounds and achieving a stable weight will dramatically improve your health and quality of life. Unfortunately, you might struggle to follow a diet that makes you feel constantly hungry and deprived. At Batash Medical in Rego Park, New York, we can use a gastric balloon treatment to help you achieve a healthy, stable weight.
What Are the Benefits of Gastric Balloon Treatment?
A gastric balloon treatment is a weight loss technique that uses a special balloon to help you quickly shed unnecessary pounds. During this treatment, we will put a soft balloon in your stomach. Since this unique balloon will take up a large volume of space in your stomach, you will be able to feel satisfied after you eat a small amount of food. This innovative balloon will provide you with a number of significant benefits.
- Receiving a High-Quality Balloon
- We use Orbera balloons to perform this treatment. Orbera balloons are one of the most popular weight loss balloons in the world. Further, the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy has recognized this balloon as a safe, effective treatment. This is the only type of gastric balloon that this society has recognized in this manner.
- Further, there is scientific evidence that shows that this balloon is very good at helping people lose weight. In fact, people who used Orbera balloons during clinical studies experienced more significant weight loss than people who received other medical treatments.
- Using a Minimally Invasive Method
- Many weight loss procedures require you to receive incisions, stitches, or staples. You might have to spend a long time in the hospital while you recover from your complicated procedure. Although these procedures can help you lose a large amount of weight, you might not want to spend weeks or months recovering from an invasive technique. Further, you might not want to receive a procedure that could create visible scars on your body.
- In contrast, receiving an Orbera balloon is a very quick and easy process. We will use a gentle endoscopic technique to put our Orbera balloon in your stomach. Since this process doesn’t receive you to get incisions or deal with sutures, you will be under light sedation during this part of your treatment. In general, you will be able to go back to your job on the day after we placed the balloon in your stomach.
- Choosing an Effective Technique
- After we put our Orbera balloon into your stomach, we will carefully fill this device with a saline solution. After this process is complete, the balloon will be about as big as a grapefruit. Taking up this amount of space in your stomach will help you adopt healthy eating habits without feeling hungry or deprived.
- Although your individual results will vary, this treatment is usually a very effective way to lose weight. If you adopt healthy habits and control your portions during meals, you might lose up to three times the amount of weight that you could lose on your own.
- Making Temporary Changes to Your Stomach
- Some weight loss procedures will make permanent changes in your body. For example, some procedures will permanently change the size of your stomach. Although these procedures are usually very effective, you may not like the idea of permanently changing this organ. If you are looking for a less invasive way to lose weight, you will probably benefit from getting an Orbera intragastric balloon.
- After about six months, we will remove the Orbera balloon from your stomach. At this point, you should have adjusted to your new eating habits and be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle on your own.
- Improving Your Health
- Being overweight will enhance your risk of experiencing a number of significant health problems. For example, your extra pounds will harm your joints and make it harder for you to remain active and fit as you get older. You might not be able to go on long walks, run, or take part in your favorite sports. In addition, you will be more likely to develop heart disease or cancer.
- Lowering your weight will make it easier for you to stay healthy and fit throughout your life. You will also lower your chances of developing serious illnesses in the future.
- A Safe Technique
- Receiving this type of balloon is a very gentle and safe way to lose weight. This technique has been used in countries around the world since the 1990s. Further, the FDA approved the Orbera balloon in 2015. In addition, since this weight loss treatment will not require you to receive incisions or stitches, you will avoid the discomfort, risks, and other issues that are associated with invasive bariatric procedures.
How Much Weight Will I Lose During My Treatment?
The amount of weight that you lose will depend on how well you are able to follow our behavior modification program during the six months that the balloon is inside your stomach. For example, if you control your portions and exercise frequently, you will probably lose more weight during your treatment. In general, it’s possible to lose up to 70 pounds during your weight loss treatment.
What Should I Expect During My Treatment?
It will take us about 20 to 30 minutes to place the balloon in your stomach. To keep you comfortable during the placement process, you will receive light sedation at the beginning of your appointment. Once this medication has taken effect, we will gently put a long, thin tube called an endoscope into your mouth. We will use this device to put the Orbera balloon into your stomach.
After the balloon is in your stomach, we will fill this device with sterile saline water. You will be able to go home after we have observed your reaction to this treatment for a couple of hours. We will call you during the next several days to make sure that you are having a good response to your treatment. In addition, we may give you medicine to take while you are adjusting to your balloon.
Will I Receive Assistance While the Balloon Is in My Stomach?
This treatment includes a full year of nutritional consulting. Our talented nutritional and exercise coaches will work with you while you are adjusting to your balloon and adopting healthy habits. In general, you will meet with a nutritional coach every four to six weeks. During these meetings, your coach will help you make adjustments to your diet.
Your coach may give you metabolic tests that will provide information about how many calories you should eat each day. Based on this information, your coach will make a customized eating plan for you. For example, your coach may advise you to start drinking protein shakes and taking nutritional supplements.
How Much Will My Weight Loss Treatment Cost?
To determine whether you are a good candidate for this technique, you will need to have an initial consultation at our office in Rego Park. This consultation will cost $50. If you decide to receive this treatment, we will apply this fee to the rest of your costs.
In general, the total cost of this treatment will be around $6,000 to $9,000. This cost will include the fees for placing and removing your balloon, as well as a sedation and facility fee. In addition, this cost will cover a full year of nutritional coaching.
Will My Health Insurance Cover the Cost of This Weight Loss Technique?
In general, your health insurance will not pay for this weight loss technique. Fortunately, this treatment does not require you to receive an invasive, complicated procedure. As a result, receiving a balloon is more affordable than many other weight loss techniques.
In addition, we can provide you with financing options that will help you cover the costs of your treatment. For example, using Prosper Financing or CareCredit may allow you to pay for your treatment over a period of several months.
Who Can Benefit From This Weight Loss Technique?
If you’ve been dieting for years without success, you are likely to be a good candidate for this weight loss treatment. In addition, you may benefit from receiving an Orbera balloon if you have regained weight after you participated in a supervised diet or exercise program.
That said, you will need to meet a couple of requirements in order to use this treatment. In general, you might achieve better results from your Orbera balloon if you have a Body Mass Index, or BMI, between 30 and 40. In addition, you need to be prepared to work with a nutritional coach over the next 12 months. You will need to follow a healthy diet and exercise program during this time.
Can I Use Other Methods to Lose Weight?
We can also use an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty to help you lose weight. Like the Orbera balloon, this technique will help you lose weight by reducing the size of your stomach.
An Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
During an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, we will put an endoscope down your throat while you are under general anesthesia. We will use this endoscope to put sutures in your stomach. These sutures will take away about 70% of the volume inside your stomach. As you adjust to this change, you will be able to feel satiated when you eat smaller snacks and meals. Over time, you are likely to lose a significant amount of weight.
Although this technique is very similar to an Orbera balloon, there are some important differences between these treatments. Since we will remove your balloon after about six months, this technique will not make permanent changes in the size of your stomach. If you receive an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty, we typically will not remove the sutures from your stomach.
Choosing a Treatment
The treatment that works for you will depend on your health, your weight loss goals, and other preferences. When you have your first meeting at our office in Rego Park, we can give you more details about our full range of weight loss treatments. We will work together to select a good method for you.
Start Your Weight Loss Journey
Receiving a gastric balloon treatment can be an excellent way to eliminate extra pounds and reach a healthier weight. The process of implanting your balloon will be quick and minimally invasive, and you won’t have a long recovery period after you get this treatment. If you are interested in learning more about this treatment, you should contact us at Batash Medical in Rego Park, New York.