Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is one of the non-surgical weight loss solutions we offer at Batash Medical. We serve the Rego Park, NY, area and have over 30 years of experience. Our mission is to help our patients reach and keep their healthy weight goals.
What Is Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty?
- A Non-Surgical Solution With Real Results
- We utilize Suture Sculpt endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. The goal of this treatment is to offer the same lasting results as surgical alternatives, without having to put you or your body through the stress of surgery. It is considered an outpatient treatment that allows you to go home after you’re done.
- By reducing the size of the stomach, it can help our patients feel full much faster than they could earlier. This allows our patients to easily reduce their portion sizes without feeling constantly hungry and uncomfortable.
- Changing the “Set Point”
- For many people who are struggling with their weight, a lack of results is not due to a lack of trying. Oftentimes medication, exercise, and dieting have all been exhaustively pursued but haven’t offered a change that is lasting or significant enough. One reason this happens is that after we lose weight, our bodies want to return to the weight it was at before weight loss. This is called the body’s “set point.”
- This can make the metabolism lower while also causing an increase in appetite. With their own body actively sabotaging their efforts, it’s no wonder that those who have lost weight can easily find it creeping back. Sometimes this “yo-yo” weight loss effect can cause the individual to end up carrying more weight than they were before.
- Why This Treatment Works
- If someone finds themselves struggling to keep the weight off long enough to make permanent change easier, they may need to reset their set point altogether in order to lose the weight for good. Having the stomach physically restricted is one of the easiest and most effective ways to fix the body’s set point. That is what this treatment offers; a non-surgical way to get the set point back to where it needs to be.
- This physical, significant limit on food consumption will naturally lead to weight loss, which can be expedited when paired with the right diet and exercise routine. After enough time has passed, your body’s set point will adjust to this new normal, which will allow for a more sustainable long-term weight loss.
- What to Expect
- By using an endoscopic method, we will be able to guide the suturing device gently down the patient’s throat, and into their stomach. The sutures are then put in place, which will take your stomach size down to less than half of its original size. All of its natural nerve and blood supply will be maintained, so this treatment should not interfere with the health of your stomach or intestines.
- After a few hours, you will be discharged. Due to the use of a general anesthetic, you shouldn’t drive for 24 hours after the treatment, so make sure you have a safe way to get yourself back home. We personally recommend resting for a day or two before returning to work, but recovery is usually quick and minimal, especially when compared to surgical alternatives.
What Are the Benefits?
While this treatment is a significant tool to help you drop weight, maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle by developing new habits can be incredibly difficult to do without a strong support system. That is why our team will be in your corner. For a year after your treatment, we will help monitor your progress. After that year is up, we will still offer you nutritional counseling for your lifetime.
Minimal Recovery Time
Exercise plays a primary role when it comes to weight loss. That’s why this treatment is an excellent alternative to surgery since this treatment doesn’t come with a list of activity restrictions. After taking it easy for just a couple of days, you will be able to continue with your favorite activities. This can help you achieve the best possible weight loss results.
An Easier Path to Success
Weight loss has never been easy and involves a lot of hard work. By enforcing a limit on your food consumption, this treatment can take some of that work off your shoulders so you can focus on exercise and diet adjustments.
One of the most challenging aspects of weight loss is facing hunger. When your functional stomach size is decreased, you will be able to feel satisfied much quicker, so you’ll be able to cut your portion sizes significantly without feeling hungry.
Numerous Health Benefits
We’ve all heard it repeated over and over that losing weight is good for you. At some point, this mantra can become white noise, but the truth is clear that getting down to a healthy weight can drastically improve your health in many ways.
- Hypertension and Heart Disease
- Obesity can contribute to high blood pressure. Unless they are tested for it, many people don’t realize they have hypertension, as it doesn’t always cause symptoms. The vicious cycle of hypertension lies within the arteries, as hardened arteries cause hypertension, just like hypertension can harden arteries.
- In short, hypertension is caused by increased resistance in the arteries. This resistance means your heart has to work harder to get your blood flowing throughout your body and to all your organs. All this hard work can make the heart more prone to issues such as heart disease.
- Hypertension’s Affects on the Brain and Kidneys
- Strokes happen when a part of the brain isn’t getting the blood it needs. Since blood carries vital oxygen, this lack of blood causes issues within the brain. Since hypertension damages the arteries, it can increase someone’s chance of a stroke.
- High blood pressure can also negatively affect the kidneys. The filtering system within the kidneys is fragile. If hypertension stretches this filtration system out, it can make kidneys less effective in doing their job. This could contribute to kidney issues later on in life.
- Reduced Joint Pain
- Extra weight can put joints such as the knees under additional strain. This pressure can contribute to joint pain. Joint pain can make someone less likely to get the exercise they should, as they are avoiding the activities that cause their painful symptoms.
- By reducing the weight these joints have to bear, it can make exercise and activity much more comfortable, which in turn makes keeping the weight off even easier.
- Better Energy and Sleep
- The more weight your body has to carry, the harder it has to work in order to move. Adenosine triphosphate, also known as ATP, is a powerful little molecule responsible for delivering energy to your cells. When weight is reduced, you shouldn’t require as much ATP when you move. This will save you energy so you are more able to pursue the activities you love.
- Excess weight can contribute to developing obstructive sleep apnea. This condition can cause pauses in breathing as you sleep, which can disrupt a good night’s rest. By losing weight, you may find some sleep apnea symptoms lessening in severity, which can help you feel more refreshed and alert during the day.
What Are the Alternatives?
Orbera Intragastric Balloon Installation
Another weight-loss treatment we offer is an intragastric balloon installation. This balloon was designed with quick and effective weight loss in mind. This is a non-surgical, endoscopic option. During treatment, the patient will be mildly sedated as the silicone balloon is placed into their stomach. Once this balloon is set where it needs to be, it will be filled with a safe saline solution.
When the balloon is about grapefruit-sized, the treatment will be finished up. The balloon both physically takes up a large amount of the stomach and also creates a comfortably full sensation for the patient. Both of these factors help enforce smaller portions. After six months, the balloon will be deflated and removed.
- After a few hours of rest, you will be able to return home. You should have a mode of transportation ready for you so you don’t have to drive yourself. While individual recovery can vary slightly, most patients can expect to be able to return to work the following day. This is an excellent treatment option to pursue over the weekend.
- This FDA-approved method has some incredible results. When paired with a healthy lifestyle, it may help patients lose up to three times the weight they could have lost by relying only on exercise and dieting.
- You can expect a cost between $6,000 to $9,000. If you are looking for a more temporary reduction of stomach size to give you a head start on learning portion control, this may be a good option to consider.
There are several surgical procedures used to make the stomach smaller. These surgeries often fall under the umbrella term of bariatric surgery. Some of the most common surgical options are an adjustable gastric band, surgical sleeve gastrectomy, and gastric bypass, amongst others. The goal of these surgeries is to permanently reduce your stomach size and enforce portion control.
Even though the majority of gastric bypasses are performed laparoscopically, which means they can get the surgery done with smaller incisions, a patient would still likely have to stay in the hospital for at least two days.
The lasting results for bariatric surgery are comparable to non-surgical alternatives. Significant weight loss is almost certain to follow these surgeries. Diet and exercise will help these results last for the long run. The less expensive surgical options may hover around $14,000, whereas the more expensive options can go over $20,000.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty?
For lasting change that is easier on the budget and less invasive, endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty may be a good fit for you. We consider this treatment suitable for patients who are both slightly overweight, as well as those who are struggling with morbid obesity. In both cases, this treatment can offer freedom from the constant cycle of fad diets, hunger, and discouragement.
Take Hold of Your Health
If you have a BMI of 25 or more and have found yourself unable to lose weight through diet and exercise, we can help you face this journey. We have offices in both Queens and Manhattan, and we offer payment plans to bring you all of our experience and expertise at a price that fits your budget. For treatment that works in the Rego Park area of NY, contact us at Batash Medical today to set up your appointment.