Weight gain during the pandemic has been a problem for many people. With your regular exercise routine disrupted with closed gyms and the temptation of all-day snacking all too easy when you’re working from home, it’s possible to gain 15 pounds or more without even noticing. Fortunately, it’s easy to lose this unwanted weight. At Batash Medical in Rego Park, NY, we know the ORBERA weight loss program can be the treatment you need to get your weight management back on track.
What to Expect With ORBERA
ORBERA is a non-surgical treatment system that helps you approach weight loss by helping you manage hunger signals and satiation. This treatment is ideal for patients who want to quickly shed weight and manage their weight for the long term.
Somewhat similar to a party balloon, this system is soft and thin and will not disrupt normal digestive processes. Our skilled staff will sedate you to insert the balloon into the stomach by way of the throat and then use a syringe to fill the balloon until it is about the size of a grapefruit. Afterward, you will be able to go back home.
- How Do Hunger Signals Work?
- Hunger is a complicated neurological signal. Many people believe that hunger is a signal sent from the brain to the stomach that will tell you to eat. However, true hunger signals are actually physiological in nature – in other words, hunger starts from the stomach, not the brain. Real hunger cues can include stomach growing, shakiness, trouble concentrating, lightheadedness, and low energy.
- The perception of where hunger comes from isn’t the only flaw in these cues. Oftentimes, our brains tell us to keep eating even when we’re full because hunger signals are imperfect. But in the same way, you don’t want to wait to eat until you’re on the verge of passing out, you also don’t want to overeat, either. And that’s where ORBERA can help you correct these miscues.
- How Does This Treatment Work?
- This system involves the insertion of a gastric balloon into the stomach that fills with saline to trick the nerves in your stomach into feeling full more quickly, which ultimately cuts down on the amount of food you need to eat to stop hunger pangs. The balloon stays in place for six months to help you manage fullness.
- During the first one to three months, you will notice the first results of the treatment as it helps you learn and practice healthy portion control for your body. As you make these practices into a habit, you will be able to lose significant amounts of weight and form lifelong habits that will allow you to manage your weight for years to come.
- Is This Treatment Safe?
- Yes, this weight loss program is very safe. While other weight loss programs involve diets that can be dangerous or the use of chemicals that interfere with your body’s natural rhythms, this treatment helps you control hunger with natural means simply by making you feel full more quickly. This system received FDA approval in 2015 but has been safely and successfully used in other countries since the 1990s.
- This treatment is also considered safe because it is a non-surgical technique, which means it is less invasive and less risky than traditional bariatric surgery. We will also monitor your progress throughout your treatment and help you create habits that will be easy to manage when your treatment is complete.
- How Much Weight Can You Lose?
- It’s difficult to provide an estimate for how much weight someone can lose in six months. Weight loss metrics vary based on age, gender, health, medication, and level of activity. Moreover, each person’s body responds differently to the balloon and the program built for their individual needs. Some patients are also able to adopt healthier eating practices more quickly than others.
- That said, on average, most patients lose about three times as much weight with this innovative balloon than with traditional dieting and exercise. In fact, most people can expect to lose about 30 to 40 pounds over six months, which is usually about 10 to 20% of total body weight.
- Will You Have Guidance?
- Losing weight is hard to do, and it’s even harder to do when you’re doing it without support. Creating new lifestyle habits that you can stick to after your treatment is complete is much easier with guidance and individualized plans for your weight loss. We will tailor a regimen for you based on your goals, your personal needs, and your body composition so you can manage your weight even after the balloon is removed.
- Factors such as your daily nutritional needs, exercise routine, and support system will all be used to build a plan that will make it easier for you to manage your weight or continue losing weight after your treatment.
- What Happens After Treatment?
- After the balloon is removed from your stomach, you will no longer have the safety net of the balloon to suppress your appetite. However, your stomach will be accustomed to eating less food to feel full, which will make it easier to manage your weight and stick to your healthy habits. Combined with a personalized plan, you should be able to maintain your new hunger knowledge and management by yourself.
- Who Should Consider ORBERA Treatment?
- Losing weight is a slow process, particularly if you want to lose weight in a healthy way and avoid yo-yo weight gain and loss. However, if you’re serious about changing your lifestyle habits and adopting better weight management for the long term, then you may want to consider this treatment. Because ORBERA includes a comprehensive weight management plan, it’s an ideal system for those who want support throughout their weight loss journey.
- How Long Is the Treatment Program?
- Although the balloon will only be in your stomach for six months, your treatment plan will actually be a 12-month process that will help you build a personalized regimen, proper diet education, and recommended exercise routines for weight management. Committing to this 12-month program will give you the best chance for reducing unwanted body weight when combined with this gastric balloon treatment.
- Who Are Good Candidates?
- People with a BMI over 30 tend to make the best candidates for this treatment. We will determine your eligibility for this treatment by reviewing your current and past medical records, completing a full body examination, and going over your treatment goals.
- Candidates who are committed to losing weight and maintaining healthy weight loss make the best candidates. Your first step to determine whether this treatment is right for you is to attend a consultation appointment.
- Why BMI Matters
- BMI (body mass index) is a general measurement used by physicians to determine your risk of developing certain conditions based on your weight, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Your BMI plays a big role in determining your overall health. This number is calculated based on your gender, age, height, and weight. The closer your BMI is to 20 to 25, the more likely you are to have a healthy body weight.
- What Are the Advantages of This Program?
- Weight loss is complicated, so diets that work for some people, may not work for others. In fact, fad diets can often be more harmful than helpful since they run the risk of depriving your body of nutrients it needs to function correctly. But since you need to eat, that means you need to learn to eat better, and not just with your food choices.
- The biggest advantage of this program is its ability to teach you how to control your portions and recognize hunger signals in the body. Learning these two factors can give you the tools you need to maintain healthy habits.
Lose Weight Safely With ORBERA
The pandemic changed the way many people ate and exercised, and unfortunately, some of that change might have resulted in unwanted weight gain. This revolutionary gastric balloon can help you quickly and safely lose weight, and learn to keep weight off for good. Please contact Batash Medical in Rego Park, NY to schedule your consultation today.