Once you have made the decision to lose weight, trying to find the best weight loss program that will work for you can be overwhelming. With the many different weight loss programs available today, it can be challenging to determine which one is the best fit for your individual needs. The truth is, there is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to weight loss, and a major key to success lies in finding a program that aligns with your goals, suits your lifestyle, and promotes sustainable, healthy habits.
Every person has unique needs and preferences when it comes to losing weight, and what works for one person may not yield the same results for another. It is important to understand that obesity is a complex condition that affects each person in different ways. One must also consider that weight loss can be vastly different between the genders, and the best weight loss program for men may be significantly less effective for their female counterparts.
Today we are going to talk about how to determine the best weight loss program, what elements an effective program should contain, and some key differences between how men and women lose weight.
What Elements Should A Safe And Effective Weight Loss Plan Contain?
If you are like most people and are looking for the best weight loss program, you will probably do an internet search. The results that would be returned would most likely confuse and frustrate you.
A study conducted by a Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine expert attempted to identify weight loss programs that were advertised on the internet that adhered to medical weight loss guidelines and also included the essential elements for a safe and successful program. Out of the 200 results that were returned within their targeted area of three states, only 9% of them fulfilled these requirements.
Finding help with a safe and effective weight loss program to treat obesity can be confusing, and it can be difficult to tell the difference between a weight loss program that is based on science and evidence-based results and one that is promoting a brand or a company and trying to sell a product.
The best weight loss programs have clear goals, are tailored according to each patient’s unique circumstances, and can be gradually implemented into their daily routine, ultimately becoming long-term lifestyle habits. Look for these elements when choosing the best weight loss program for you.
- The Diet Plan
- Many people who suffer from obesity tend to consistently eat an unhealthy diet. Obtaining help from a certified dietician can take the guesswork out of determining which foods will provide the most nourishment and provide prolonged satiety versus those that provide little nutritional value or trigger cravings.
A great program will offer access to a dietician who can tailor a long-term plan that provides all the essential elements for proper nutrition and is convenient and suitable for the patient’s unique circumstances. They can also help teach individuals how to portion their meals appropriately to prevent overeating and why it is important to pay attention to and understand the signals their body is sending so they know when they are full.
- The Recommendations And Guidelines Regarding Exercise
- To lose weight, one must create a calorie deficit so their body will burn more calories than it takes in. There are only a few ways to accomplish this: eat fewer calories and engage in physical activity that burns calories. A red flag of caution should be raised if a weight loss program states that you can lose weight without ever exercising. Under some circumstances, weight loss without exercise may be possible in the short term, but it is not sustainable, and it will kick the body into survival mode and cause a significant slowdown in the metabolism.
Maintaining a healthy weight is dependent on living a healthy lifestyle, which includes regular exercise or physical activity. Exercise does not have to involve long-distance running or doing crunches and lunges every day, but it is a necessary component of staying fit and healthy. The best weight loss programs will stress the importance of incorporating an adequate amount of exercise into your weekly routine. In addition, it will grant access to skilled professionals who can provide guidance and assistance in choosing activities that are safe and appropriate for each individual’s circumstances and skill level.
- The Amount Of Support Provided
- Studies have shown that individuals who are provided with a comprehensive level of support during a weight loss program lose a significantly higher percentage of weight and are more successful in maintaining their goal weight. The best weight loss programs provide several layers of support, including education and training regarding nutrition and exercise, ongoing assistance with dietary planning, emotional support, and a qualified professional who monitors and adjusts the individual’s program if necessary.
Having a support system in place for motivation is important, but when trying to do something as challenging as losing weight, individuals need more than just the basics. Comprehensive support should provide access to a team of experts who can guide you through the process of doing things differently and explain the reasons and methods behind it. This can lead to significant changes in our mindset, opening up our eyes to new understanding and causing us to rethink some of our lifestyle choices.
- The Approach To Behavior Modification
- The best weight loss programs equip you with the tools and strategies that you need to get through challenging times. There is a difference between knowing something in theory and actually putting it into practice when you need it most.
During difficult times, it is important to have effective strategies to help with weight loss. The best weight loss programs understand that it can be challenging to maintain progress when faced with real-life situations such as obstacles or temptations. These programs offer practical tools and techniques to help individuals navigate real-life situations effectively, rather than just providing theoretical guidelines.
The focus should be on providing practical advice that people can use in their daily routines, whether it’s tips for eating out, dealing with stress-induced cravings, or navigating social events, so they feel more in control and capable of making positive changes so they can achieve long-term success in their weight loss journey.
- Resources To Assist Patients With Weight Loss
- Most patients who are trying to find the best weight loss program to help them achieve their goals and improve their health have tried and exhausted the traditional methods of losing weight. They may have underlying conditions that are preventing them from losing weight through the efforts they put forth, and they are in need of medical intervention.
Endoscopic non-surgical weight loss tools and prescription weight loss medications can be beneficial components of a successful weight loss program. A Gastric balloon or endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty helps patients achieve weight loss by reducing stomach capacity or slowing down digestion.
When combined with lifestyle modifications that include a healthy diet and exercise, these medical interventions can work together with patient efforts to promote successful and sustainable weight loss.
- Proven Results And Safety
- It is important that you ensure the weight loss program you choose only uses medications that are FDA-approved and are administered under the supervision of a qualified doctor. Many internet-based weight loss programs may be interested in selling you supplements that have no scientific evidence to support safety or efficacy claims. The FDA website is a good resource for identifying weight loss products that are known to be unsafe.
Does Weight Loss Affect Men And Women Differently?
The differences between men and women can be significantly different when it comes to selecting the best weight loss program for their needs. Any woman who has dieted alongside a male partner has experienced the frustration of watching them seemingly shed pounds effortlessly after simply giving up sodas for a week while their extensive efforts and calorie counting yielded underwhelming results. There are a few reasons why men seem to lose weight quicker and easier than women, even when following the same program.
The Journal of Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism published the results of an eight-week study consisting of a couple thousand overweight adults who were showing early signs of diabetes. All of the participants followed a diet that was restricted to 800 calories a day for the entire study.
- 13 participants had blood sugar levels that were within normal ranges;
- The average weight loss for male participants was 26 pounds;
- The average weight loss for female participants was 22 pounds;
- The male participants also showed significant improvements in heart rate, body fat percentage, and other weight-related health conditions;
- Women lost the most inches from their hips during the eight-week period. When women lose weight, it tends to be the subcutaneous fat that is stored beneath the skin, thus resulting in the loss of inches;
- Women also experienced some slightly negative results due to the very restrictive calorie allowance, including a reduction in their HDL (good) cholesterol, a slight reduction in their lean muscle mass, and a small decrease in their bone mineral density.
When looking at the best weight loss program for men, it is important to keep in mind that men naturally have more muscle mass and therefore possess a metabolism that runs faster than a woman’s. They also usually eat more than women, so their daily intake of calories is naturally higher, so the 800-calorie restriction they followed during the study had a greater impact on their calorie deficit, which caused them to lose a greater amount of weight.
Additionally, men by nature tend to accumulate a higher percentage of visceral fat (known as the dangerous kind of fat) on their abdomens than women. When they lose weight, this fat is often the first to be reduced, which is a significant benefit as it is known for impeding metabolic functions because it collects around vital organs.
The Best Weight Loss Program Should Focus On Overall Health
In the past, there were differences in the ways that men and women approached fitness. Societal and cultural norms placed a high value on thinness as a desirable trait for women, which often led women to prioritize their appearance over their health. Men desired to build muscle and bulk up, and many began using steroids or supplements to enhance their muscle growth to achieve quicker results. Both genders were focusing more on appearance without an appropriate understanding of how important it was to maintain a healthy weight.
Over the past fifty years, many people have become more educated and health-conscious and recognize the value of achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. As we learn more about the disease of obesity and weight loss, both men and women are approaching it in similar but more strategic ways.
There is no one-size-fits-all best weight loss program for women vs. men; however, both genders can benefit from partnering with an obesity-trained professional to achieve safe and sustainable weight loss results.
Where Can I Find The Best Weight Loss Program In NYC?
Achieving and maintaining weight loss requires making long-term changes to your diet, exercise routine, behavior, and lifestyle.
Working with a board-certified doctor like Dr. Steven Batash, who specializes in obesity management, can help you develop new, healthier lifestyle habits that will improve your quality of life and overall health. Dr. Batash and his team are available to anyone, whether you live in the NYC area or are from out of town. Many of our patients come from outside of our beautiful city and state to benefit from our exceptional weight loss solutions.
Get in touch with Batash Endoscopic Weight Loss Center today, and we’ll assist you in creating the best weight loss program for your circumstances. We also offer unsurpassed support that continues even after you achieve your weight loss objectives.
Set up an appointment and learn more about how we can help you reach your weight-loss goals.