If you have attempted to lose weight by conventional methods such as eating a nutritious diet and increasing your level of physical activity without success, you may wish to consider medical options for weight loss.
Often, non-surgical medical weight loss options can provide that little extra something you need to make your hard work produce the results you want. Let’s take a closer look at some of the elements that a program for medical weight loss may include, how to choose the one that is right for you, and where you can find options for medical weight loss in New York City.
A Definition Of Medical Weight Loss
Medical weight loss refers to scientifically-based as well as medically-based therapies that are implemented under the direction of a certified physician. The goal of these programs is to help individuals with body mass index numbers in the overweight and obese categories achieve a healthier lifestyle through sustainable weight reduction without surgery.
Who Might Benefit From Non-Surgical Medical Weight Loss Options?
Medical weight loss is an effective tool if it is used properly and by the right type of patient. Like anything else, these strategies will only work if the patient is willing to do their part. Most patients are good candidates for medical weight loss options, but the doctor you choose to oversee your weight loss may wish to know how dedicated you are to achieving your weight loss goals. Some of the criteria they are looking for in an ideal candidate are as follows:
- Individuals who fall in the overweight or obese categories on the standard body mass index scale (BMI over 27);
- Men or women who are suffering from health issues that are weight-related such as sleep apnea, hypertension, or diabetes (type II);
- People who are committed to following the necessary healthy diet and exercise regimens prescribed by their doctor as part of their customized medical weight-reduction plan;
- Those who are willing to make permanent adjustments to their lifestyle in order to get healthy;
- People who do not have a health issue that would preclude them from utilizing weight loss medications.
What Are The Different Options For Medical Weight Loss?
Medical weight-loss therapy begins with an evaluation by a board-certified physician trained in obesity management. During this evaluation, the doctor will obtain your medical history and will often run tests to look for certain elements related to your body composition and metabolism.
These tests may reveal underlying conditions that have inhibited your previous weight loss attempts and other information that will assist the doctor in creating an effective medical weight loss plan customized for your circumstances.
Some of the medical options for weight loss that may be included in your plan include:
- Guidance from a nutritionist or dietitian;
- Exercise coaching;
- Support from other health specialists for behavior and lifestyle modification;
- Medication to assist with appetite control and fat metabolism;
- Assistance with supplemental vitamins and minerals;
- Moral support from the professionals at the weight loss center;
- A weight loss procedure (ESG or a gastric balloon) that helps patients regulate how much they can eat and does not require surgery.
How Can Medical Weight Loss Benefit Me?
- Reducing your weight can help decrease your risk of developing many serious conditions that are weight-related. It can also eliminate an existing condition such as diabetes (type 2) or hypertension, or allow you to reduce your medication;
- You will be working with a doctor who understands the obstacles you are facing and can provide solutions and strategies to overcome them;
- You will have a weight loss plan that is customized for you and is geared to address your metabolism and any underlying conditions that may be present;
- You will experience weight loss that is safe and effective while under a doctor’s supervision;
- You will have access to a wide range of professionals who can provide support, education, and strategies that promote sustainable weight loss;
- You will have access to prescription medications that, when used in combination with a well-managed diet and exercise plan, can increase the effectiveness of your efforts and help you shed pounds more efficiently.
What Kind Of Medicine Is Normally Used As A Medical Weight Loss Option?
Prescription drugs in the form of injections have been proven effective in helping overweight and obese individuals lower their body mass index through weight loss. These weight-loss drugs were discovered while being used for the regulation of blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes.
These injections simulate a substance that is naturally manufactured by the body and is responsible for controlling the levels of sugar in the bloodstream. They help regulate the metabolism of fat, work as an appetite suppressant, and slow down the rate at which the stomach empties, which prolongs satiety. All these weight-loss injections work in basically the same way and are administered daily or weekly, with the dose-escalating at monthly intervals until reaching the highest dose after 5 months.
Some of the medication options for medical weight loss are:
The combination of a prescription weight loss medication and key lifestyle changes, including a healthy diet and physical exercise, can work together to produce a substantial loss of weight.
What To Expect During A Medical Weight Loss Program
You are never on your own when you participate in a medical weight loss program. You will be supervised by a physician who creates a custom plan to help you lose weight based on your comprehensive evaluation.
Your plan will include dietary requirements and expectations for daily physical fitness. You will be provided with a comprehensive level of support that you can access if you have questions, issues, or need adjustments in your program.
Your plan will most likely also include prescription weight loss medication that will help curb your hunger and boost your metabolism. You will routinely meet with your doctor during the program for progress checks and to make any adjustments to your program or medication if necessary.
When you participate in a program for medical weight loss, you will normally be expected to participate in sessions with a nutritionist and other members of the support team for education, accountability, and encouragement. These monthly sessions help keep you on track to meet your weight-loss goals.
Medical Weight Loss Options + Patient Dedication = Substantial Weight Loss
When utilized as intended, medical weight loss can be highly effective. The combination of appetite-suppressing medicine and a strong network of support will play a major role in assisting individuals to lose weight and maintain their weight loss.
These are resources that can only assist in enhancing the patient’s contributions. If the patient exerts minimal effort, they will have minimal success with their program. Similarly, if the patient exerts a substantial amount of effort and adheres to their diet and exercise regimen diligently, they will experience considerable results through these medical weight loss options.
If you would like more information about your options for medical weight loss, set up a personal consultation today with Batash Endoscopic Weight Loss Center. We would welcome the opportunity to tell you more about medical weight loss and how it can provide you with the help you need effectively and safely lose weight. Contact us today!